I have the most high-maintenance gums. Seriously, if I don’t give them extra attention, they go puffy and red on me. It never fails…
What works best for me is oil pulling – a simple, natural and detoxifying technique. If you haven’t tried oil pulling yet, you’ll definitely want to add this as part of your non-toxic lifestyle.
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that is said to date back three thousands years (or probably more, who knows). It involves swishing oil in the mouth to help remove unwanted microorganisms, bacteria and toxins.
Why should I oil pull?
The list of health and detoxifying benefits is long. Oil pulling can help:
- draw out toxins from the body
- improve gum health
- reduce inflammation
- freshen breath
- whiten teeth
- fight cavities
- boost immunity health
Plus, oil pulling is safe for everyone: kids, the elderly and pregnant women.
How to do oil pulling
Oil pulling is simple and involves swishing anywhere from 1 TSP to 1 TBSP of oil in your mouth for up to 20 minutes.
Popular oils to use include sesame (do not use the “toasted” kind), coconut (it’s naturally anti-microbial and contains anti-inflammatory lauric acid), olive or castor oil.
Ideally, oil pulling for 20 minutes is best but you can start with 5 or 10 minutes and work up to it. Also, if you use castor oil, you only need to swish for 2 to 3 minutes. I’ve seen the greatest benefit from swishing 20 minutes with coconut oil.
You can also add one drop of essential oil for extra power but make sure you pick a brand that is considered safe for internal use. Once done swooshing, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth as usual.
Tips for oil pulling
Here are some general tips to help you get the most out of oil pulling.
- Try to tongue scrape in the mornings after tongue scraping. If this doesn’t fit into your lifestyle or feels too stressful, do it when you can.
- Consistency is key. Try to oil pulling daily at first to build the habit and get the most benefit, and then maintain at least 2 or 3 times per week.
- Always pick an organic, cold-pressed oil. No point in potentially adding more toxins to the mouth…
- Spit the oil in toilet or garbage when you are done to avoid clogging the drain.
- Find some way to entertain yourself while you oil pull to help the 20 minutes go by faster. Read or, if you choose to watch something, make sure to turn up the volume.
- Do not swallow the oil once you’re done or you risk reabsorbing the toxins.
My personal experience
I experienced noticeable, first-hand benefits from oil pulling on a regular basis. After 2 weeks of consistent swooshing, my gums turned a night light pink hue and even my dentist noticed! However, if I stop I do notice my gums revert back.
Give it a try for a few weeks and let me know how it works for you!